Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- Juice and zest of 2 whole lemons
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 1 pre-cooked pie crust
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour, cornstarch, salt, water, lemon juice, and zest. Heat mixture while stirring until it reaches a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter.
- In a medium bowl, temper the lemon mixture into the egg yolks a little at a time to prevent cooking egg yolks. Then put the entire mixture back into the pan over medium heat. Stir while cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour pie filling into a pre-cooked pie crust and smooth the surface.
- In Mixing Bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until foamy. Beat in sugar, one tablespoon at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks form and sugar is completely dissolved.
- Spoon meringue onto filling, spreading to the edge of the crust.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until meringue is browned and temperature reaches 160F. Cool on cooling rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate about 4 hours before serving.