2 Pie Crusts
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- ¾ cup vegetable shortening, chilled
- ½ cup cold water
- Mix the flour and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and shortening. Use a pastry cutter or two forks to cut the butter and shortening into the mixture until it resembles a coarse meal.
- Add cold water, 1 tbsp at a time, and stir after each tablespoon added. Stop adding water when the dough begins to form large clumps.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface. Using floured hands, fold the dough into itself until the flour is incorporated.
- Form the dough into a ball and divide in half. Flatten each half into 1-inch thick discs.
- Wrap each disc in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before using in your pie recipe.